View Other Items in this Archive |
View All Archives | Printable Version
NOTICE OF DECISION
Site Plan Review
Certified Mail #7014 2120 0003 3809 9171
Applicant: Hingham Historical Society
Premises: Hingham Historical Society
34 Main Street
Hingham, MA 02043
Date: September 28, 2016
Re: Modification of Parking Lot Paving and Drainage Design
Summary of Proceedings
At a duly noticed public hearing at the meeting of September 26, 2016 Planning Board members Judith Sneath, Sarah Corey, Gary Tondorf-Dick, William Ramsey, and Jennifer Gay Smith heard the application of the Hingham Historical Society for Site Plan Review under § I-H and § I-I of the Zoning By-Law to modify the drainage and driveway treatment for the existing project at 34 Main Street.
The Applicant was represented by Al Trakimas, SITEC Engineering. Also present were Mark Cullings, Mike Studley and Sally Weston. John Chessia was present as peer review engineer for the Board. Mr. Trakimas explained that this project was initially approved with pervious pavers, but the decision has been made to now pave the parking area and modify the drainage. Mr. Chessia said the latest submittal had not been reviewed because it had been received after working hours the day of the meeting. He then explained that the parking area was proposed to be regraded slightly and a catch basin was proposed in the low point. He explained that this design would handle storm water from a 100 year storm. In additions, the drainage would be more effective than previously approved and require less maintenance. Functionally, the new proposal meets the purposes of the original proposal. The Board reviewed and discussed the responses to Mr. Chessia’ s review comments, and, the proposed modifications to the drainage, drainage structures, and operation and maintenance plan in great detail.
Findings and Decision
After additional discussion the Board began to review the Site Plan Review Criteria. The Board then Moved, Seconded and SO VOTED to WAIVE Site Plan Review Criteria a-f, h and i finding that this Site Plan proposed modification was narrow in scope, and the changes relate to site plan review criteria “g”.
g. assurance of positive storm water drainage and snow-melt run-off from buildings, driveways and from all parking and loading areas on the site, and prevention of erosion, sedimentation and storm water pollution and management problems through site design and erosion controls in accordance with the most current versions of the Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protection’s Storm Water Management Policy and Standards, and Massachusetts Erosion and Sediment Control Guidelines.
• The Board accepted the vortechnics unit as presented on the 9/26/16 revision of the SITEC “BUILDING PERMIT PLAN”.
• The Board found that a condition of approval would be “A soil evaluation must be performed by a Licensed Soil Evaluator prior to installation of the system”.
• The Board considered the drainage structure proposed and found that because of the specifics of this project (size, scope and location), and the testimony and recommendations of the engineer, it was acceptable with this project to meet the required 80% pretreatment.
• The Board agreed that a condition would be that “outlet hoods or tees must be fitted to the existing two catch basins adjacent to Main Street, in addition to the existing requirement for cleaning”.
• The O&M Plan must be revised to include a BMP Location Plan and correspond to the conditions of approval.
• Applicant must perform the maintenance of the storm water system and catch basins as prescribed in the O&M Plan and existing approval.
The Board then Moved, Seconded and SO VOTED to Approve the Site Plan Review to allow the modification of the parking lot drainage and paving design, as presented at the hearing, and as shown on plans titled “BUILDING PERMIT PLAN, Old Derby Academy, 34 Main Street, Hingham, Massachusetts”, prepared for the Hingham Historical Society, prepared by SITEC, dated October 6, 2015, revised to 9/26/16, with the following conditions:
1. A soil evaluation must be performed by a Licensed Soil Evaluator prior to installation of the system
2. The O&M Plan must be revised to include a BMP Location Plan and correspond to the conditions of approval
3. outlet hoods or tees must be fitted to the existing two catch basins adjacent to Main Street, in addition to the existing requirement for cleaning
4. The O&M Plan must be revised to include a BMP Location Plan and correspond to the conditions of approval.
5. Applicant must perform the maintenance of the storm water system and catch basins as prescribed
Town of Hingham Planning Board
Judith Sneath, Chair
Cc: Town Clerk; Building Department; ZBA; R. Fernandes; R. Sylvester; A. Trakimas, SITEC; Historic; Assessor;