We are reviewing the actions by ACIP yesterday recommending a third dose of Moderna or Pfizer vaccine for some individuals with compromised immune systems including individuals who have:
• Been receiving active cancer treatment for tumors or cancers of the blood
• Received an organ transplant and are taking medicine to suppress the immune system
• Received a stem cell transplant within the last 2 years or are taking medicine to suppress the immune system
• Moderate or severe primary immunodeficiency (such as DiGeorge syndrome, Wiskott-Aldrich syndrome)
• Advanced or untreated HIV infection
• Active treatment with high-dose corticosteroids or other drugs that may suppress your immune response
We are urging Massachusetts residents who have questions about whether a third dose of vaccine is recommended for them to contact their medical provider to discuss these recommendations.