Town Manager Tom Mayo and Assistant Town Administrator Michelle Monsegur provided the following COVID-19 updates at the Board of Selectmen meeting on September 15, 2020
- Massachusetts remains in Phase 3 - Step 1 at this time. Public health indicators in Massachusetts continue to hold steady.
- As of today, DPH is reporting 123,425 confirmed cases in Massachusetts, of which 9,407 are in Plymouth County.
- As of last Wednesday, DPH was reporting 305 COVID-19 cases in Hingham, keeping us in the Green (lower risk) category.
- Please continue to be vigilant in taking precautions to prevent the spread of COVID-19 in our community.
Recreation Department Updates
- Mark Thorell provided an update on the Recreation Department’s modified summer programming this year.
- Overall, the Rec Department was able to serve 1,417 children in various programs over 11 weeks this summer, including the Fun Time Program, Sports Experience Program, All Star Athlete Program, and Dancing Feet.
- Summer activities included sports, art workshops, dance classes, tennis lessons and activities at the South Shore Country Club, field games, and classic theme days like tie dye day and karaoke day.
- The Department also employed 15 counselors to staff the modified summer programs as well as 10 lifeguards to monitor Bathing Beach 7 days a week.
- Working within COVID-19 guidelines, Mark and his team worked incredibly hard to put together a creative array of programs to serve children in Hingham this summer.
- Mark wanted to give a special thanks to his team members Kathy Walsh, Mike Benard, and Jacki Muh for their dedication. They put in many extra hours to do what they could to offer children a fun and safe environment this summer and to provide some normalcy for families in what has been anything but a normal year.