- Town Clerk
- Election & Voter Information
- Early Voting and Absentee Voting
Early Voting and Absentee Voting
On June 22, 2022, a MA election reform law titled “The VOTES Act” was signed into law. Among other things, the VOTES Act makes several of the temporary changes from the 2020 pandemic permanent including Vote by Mail and In-Person Early Voting.
Early Voting for 2023 Elections
Vote By Mail
Vote by Mail will be available for the 2023 Town Election on April 29, 2023.
Step 1 - Vote by Mail Applications.
Select the appropriate application. Unlike in 2022, these applications will NOT be mailed out by the Secretary of the Commonwealth. 2023 Applications are also available in the Town Clerk Office.
- Individual Application
- Household Application
- Accessible Application (Additional information for Voters with Disabilities)
Step 2 - Download, complete, SIGN
Step 3 - Return to the Town Clerk
- Drop Off - Town Clerk Drop Box in front of Hingham Town Hall, 210 Central Street, Hingham, MA 02043
- Mail To - Hingham Town Clerk, 210 Central Street, Hingham MA 02043
The deadline to submit the Vote by Mail Application is Monday, April 24, 2023 but we recommend submitting in advance of that deadline. Please call (781) 741-1410 if you have any questions.
In Person Early Voting
In-Person Early Voting will NOT be available for the April 29, 2023 Town Election.
Absentee voters use the same ballots as early voters and have the same deadlines for returning their ballots. Most voters who qualify for an absentee ballot can choose instead to apply for an early Vote by Mail ballot.
To qualify for an absentee ballot, you must:
- Be away from your city/town on Election Day; or
- Have a disability that keeps you from voting at your polling place; or
- Have a religious belief that prevents you from voting at your polling place on Election Day
Absentee voters use the same ballots as early voters and have the same deadlines for returning their ballots. Most voters who qualify for an absentee ballot can choose instead to apply for an early Vote by Mail ballot. There are some times that an absentee ballot application is needed. You should fill out an absentee ballot application if:
- You are a U.S. citizen residing overseas; or
- You are on active military duty; or
- You are currently incarcerated for a reason other than a felony conviction; or
- You are requesting an emergency absentee ballot due to hospitalization.
Please call (781) 741-1410 to schedule an appointment to Absentee Vote.