|Keith Jermyn, Veterans' Services Officer|
|Mary Ann Blackmur||2021|
The Veterans Council meets on the First Tuesday of each month in Hingham Town Hall, at 17:00 hrs or 5:00 pm, as noted on the Town Website.
The current meeting Agenda and previous meeting Minutes are submitted NLT 48 hrs. prior to the open meetings as set by the laws of the Commonwealth.
The Hingham Veterans' Council is composed of 11 residents of Hingham, who are appointed to fill staggered 3-year terms by the Board of Selectmen. The volunteers serve at the pleasure of the Board, but report directly to the Veterans Service Officer, who is a municipal employee.
The Council is an unpaid advisory board established in accordance with Massachusetts General Laws, Chapter 115, Section 12 to “render such assistance to the director of veterans' services of the municipality…as the director may request."
In addition to these members above, the current Commanders, or their duly appointed Representatives of the Towns’ various Veterans Organizations will serve as Ex-Offico Members. These currently include:
- Commander, American Legion, Post #120:
- Commander, Disabled American Veterans, Chapter #65
- Commander, Linden Ponds Veterans Association
- Commander, Veterans of Foreign Wars, Post #6053:
Their roles serve to keep the lines of communications open between the town veterans population, their respective originations, and to assist with military, or veteran related events.
Duties & Responsibilities
The Hingham Veterans’ Council routinely provides assistance to the Town's Veterans' Services department in the following areas:
- Fourth of July
- POW/MIA Remembrance Day (3rd Friday of September)
- USN Medal of Honor recipient - SN Herbert L. Foss Day (October 12th)
- Veterans Day – (November 11th)
- Pearl Harbor Day – (December 7th)
- Peace Officer Memorial Day (May 15th)
- Memorial Day – 4th Monday of May
- Battle of Grape Island (3rd Sunday in May)
- Flag Day (June 14th)
- Blue Star Banner & Flags for Soldiers Programs (Quarterly)
- Veterans Upward Bound – Richard “Dick” Sweeney Scholarship Program, Suffolk U (May)