- Construction Notice 2020
- Construction Notice Aug 11-12 2020
- Construction Notice September 2020
- Roads Under 5 Year Moratorium List 2015-2020
- Street Opening Permit Form (PDF)
- Board of Selectmen Presentation on Proposed Road Construction thru 2020
Street Opening Permits
A Street Opening Permit (PDF) is required for any work within the layout of a Public Way in the Town of Hingham. This includes the installation of driveways or utility lines or services, installation or alteration of stonewalls or fences or other structures, or any project that result in changes in drainage patterns. In general, the public utility company is responsible for obtaining the necessary Street Opening Permit for service installation. A handbook entitled "Rules and Regulations Governing Street Excavations" may be obtained at the Public Works Office, 25 Bare Cove Park Drive. It should be noted that except for emergencies, a public-way may not be opened for a period of 5 years following resurfacing or reconstruction.
Plowing Of Public Roads
The Department is responsible for snow and ice control on all public roads, most public driveways and parking areas, and certain private ways and unaccepted subdivision roads. Residents are required to comply with the following guidelines relating to public ways:
- Do not rake leaves or other debris onto public ways.
- Uncover the storm drain in front of your house if covered over with leaves, snow or other debris.
- Do not plow or throw snow from private property onto the street or sidewalk.
- Do not pump water from sump pump onto a public street or sidewalk.
- Do not plow in or block sidewalks with snow or a motor vehicle.
- Do not park a vehicle overnight on any public way, especially during snow season, November 15 to April 15. This interferes with efficient snow removal.
Plowing of Private Drives & Private Ways
- Within subdivisions approved since July 1, 1980, private-ways which have been approved and have been constructed in accordance with the Rules and Regulations of the Planning Board of the Town of Hingham, but are not yet accepted as public-ways, will be plowed for a maximum of 3 seasons and are not subject to the conditions contained herein. However, a private way will not be plowed if a Planning Board decision or a covenant places that responsibility with the homeowners.
- Specifically excluded from plowing, are non-municipal multi-unit housing complexes, parking lots, shopping center plazas, areas or malls, and similar areas.
- The private ways must contain two or more residences in existence, and constructed prior to July 1, 1980, with each residence fronting on the private way.
- The private way must be safe for plowing equipment to enter the area.
- The road surface of the private way must be paved in a manner acceptable to the Superintendent of Public Works and be in good repair and the way must be a least 10 feet in width throughout its entire length.
- The private-way, at the time of plowing, must be clear of vehicles.
- All owners of property on said private way must sign an agreement releasing and waiving any liability against the town, its agents, officers, servants or employees, and agreeing to indemnify and hold harmless the town, its agents, servants, officers or employees, from any damages whatsoever. This agreement must be executed each year.