The DPW & Sewer office is now open for normal business hours. There is 1 member of the public allowed in the lobby at a time. If you need assistance please call 781-741-1430 or email DPWADMIN@Hingham-MA.GOV
Agendas & Minutes
Agendas are available prior to the meetings. Minutes are available following approval.
View Most Recent Agendas and Minutes | View Minutes 2011 and Older
- Stephen Harold, Chair
- Kirk Shilts
- Clark Frazier
The town is broken down into 2 separate sewer districts:
- North Sewer District - Approximately 2,500 businesses and residences connected to it, this flow goes directly to the Massachusetts Water Resources Authority.
- Weir River Sewer District - There is sewer service provided for approximately 275 houses in the West Corner section of Town. The flow from this district, combined with the flow from approximately 300 houses in Cohasset goes to the Wastewater Treatment Plant in Hull.
Bills are sent to sewer users twice a year. The fall bill is a minimum of $175 or the cost of usage based on the first 2 quarters of water consumption, whichever is greater. The spring bill is based on actual water consumption for the entire previous calendar year adjusted for any payment made in the fall. The sewer use fee for Fiscal Year 2021 is $11.21/100 CF of water.
Billing is based upon 100% of water use however, the use of dedicated meters to measure non-sewer deposited water for consumption adjustment is allowed when permitted through the sewer department.
Online bill payment is now available through Unipay
Connection of sump pumps to the sewer system is strictly prohibited. Sump pumps contribute substantially to excess water (I & I or Inflow and Infiltration) in the system and add to the annual user fees in the NSD and may result in heavy fines in the WRSD.
Those considering purchasing a home in Hingham will want to have any illicit sump pump connections identified and re- routed before purchase.
The Hingham Sewer Commission provides sewer service to approximately 2,500 residences and/or businesses in the North Sewer District (NSD) and 180 residences and/or businesses in the Weir River Sewer District (WRSD). We currently maintain about 30 miles of sewer pipe and 13 pump stations.
Sewer Rules and Regulations Update - Voted 7/15/21 - Posted 7/21/21
The Hingham Sewer Commission has posted an update to their Sewer Rules and Relations for public comment.
The main changes are the addition of a private sewer line section which addresses private sewer lines as well as the simplification of sewer fees. Documents located below under the "Important Documents - Sewer Rules and Regulation" section.
Send comments to SewerCommission@hingham-ma.gov
Sewer Rules and Regulations
- Sewer Rules and Regulations - April 5, 2016
- Explanation of Hingham Sewer District I and I Fees
- HSC Sewer Regs Update (voted for posting) (7-15-21) (clean)
- HSC Sewer Regs Update (voted for posting) (7-15-21)
- Appendix K (Fee Scenario Examples) voted 7-15-21
- HSC Fee Schedule (7-15-21) (voted)
- NSD I I fee calculation chart 2-7-17